OpenCores
no use no use 1/2 Next Last
Verilog/VHDL
by eejlny on Aug 26, 2009
eejlny
Hello,

I am interested in joining the development and I have developed a high-performance programmable and configurable motion estimation engine mapped to an FPGA which runs under x.264. Now my work is in VHDL but I see that you have selected Verilog. Why do you want to restrict yourself to a single language?. Successful open-source projects such as the Leon3 SPARC processor include components in Verilog/VHDL and FPGA synthesis and P&R tools will compile both of them with no problems. I think to open the language to both VHDL/Verilog will be a good idea for a complex project such as this one.

Regards

Jose
RE: Verilog/VHDL
by gil_savir on Aug 26, 2009
gil_savir
I think that we are also limited by the open-source eda tools that exist. I know there is open Verilog simulator (Icarus). I don't know which open tools exist for VHDL. However, I'm almost sure there is no open HDL simulator that supports mixed language VHDL/Verilog simulations. Maybe this is a good place to list available open HDL tools. I'm also not sure if there exist any open HVL (HW Verification Language) tool that supports decent verification language (E, Specman, Systemverilog,...). Does anyone has experience with open-HW verification?
by rfajardo on Aug 27, 2009
rfajardo
Hi,

Icarus Verilog support little of System Verilog.

If you use verilator you can apply SystemC to verify your design. Which also enables you to use the libraries below for verification and the own SystemC Verification Library (SCV).

http://www.trusster.com/ have two libraries for hardware verification, both for C++ and System Verilog.

For VHDL you can use both ghdl and freehdl.

I hope that gives some hint on what is available.
Raul
by arrival on Feb 1, 2010
arrival
Hello,

i would also like to help with RTL development, but currently my experience is vhdl only

what about hdl to verilog translation tools? would that be an option?

Hi,

Icarus Verilog support little of System Verilog.

If you use verilator you can apply SystemC to verify your design. Which also enables you to use the libraries below for verification and the own SystemC Verification Library (SCV).

http://www.trusster.com/ have two libraries for hardware verification, both for C++ and System Verilog.

For VHDL you can use both ghdl and freehdl.

I hope that gives some hint on what is available.
Raul
by tlinden on Apr 13, 2010
tlinden
Altera provides a free version of ModelSim which will simulate VHDL. I believe that Xilinx does the same. However, it is a windows only tool.
by a_fezo on Apr 26, 2010
a_fezo
Hello,

I am interested in joining the development and I have developed a high-performance programmable and configurable motion estimation engine mapped to an FPGA which runs under x.264. Now my work is in VHDL but I see that you have selected Verilog. Why do you want to restrict yourself to a single language?. Successful open-source projects such as the Leon3 SPARC processor include components in Verilog/VHDL and FPGA synthesis and P&R tools will compile both of them with no problems. I think to open the language to both VHDL/Verilog will be a good idea for a complex project such as this one.

Regards

Jose

by arrival on Apr 27, 2010
arrival
I agree!

Hello,

Regards

Jose

by jt_eaton on Apr 27, 2010
jt_eaton
Hello,

Regards

Jose

-------------------------------
The main problem is simulation. While it is common for real eda tools ($$$$) to support both that ability is rare among the freely available open sourced simulators. I do everything in verilog simply because icarus is a great tool but only supports verilog.

You could release components as both verilog and vhdl but unless you have access to LEC ( logic equivalence checking) then ensuring that they are identical is hard.

John Eaton
by jimmy777 on Aug 10, 2010
jimmy777
hello everyone can anybody tell me where i can found the cordic alog code in vhdl for finding sine, sq root , log..etc plz do reply to this post asap i have to complete my project friends bye
by ashwinbalani on Aug 10, 2010
ashwinbalani

Hello Jimmy,
Please contact me on ashwinbalani@gmail.com to get the code for Cordic Processor in both the modes.
by kaushik_mallibhat on Mar 2, 2011
kaushik_mallibhat
hello sir/madam
can some body help me by sending verilog code to do motion estimation
by jamesedgar on Mar 6, 2011
jamesedgar
Kaushik --
See: http://opencores.org/project,macroblock_motion_detection for verilog code to do motion estimation. There is a smaller project that uses a log search for the best match for a macroblock in a group of 9 macroblocks, and a more complicated project that uses the first project as a base and is timed to repeatedly do the same search on an entire video frame.

James
by gkamal on Mar 16, 2011
gkamal
hi i am the beginner .... i have much interest in vlsi but i am lacking in basics... how can i learn concepts regarding this.. please help in improving my skills please suggest me....
by kaushik_mallibhat on Mar 16, 2011
kaushik_mallibhat
thank you jamesedgar. but i am using ARPS algorithm... hw can i modify this program? can u pls suggest me... thank you
by kaushik_mallibhat on Mar 16, 2011
kaushik_mallibhat
gkamal
I appreciate your interest. but VLSI is very vast. first be clear in which direction u r travelling to.
no use no use 1/2 Next Last
© copyright 1999-2024 OpenCores.org, equivalent to Oliscience, all rights reserved. OpenCores®, registered trademark.